Rina letter
Dear Rina,
no problem, I really enjoy writing with you. You can send me an e-mail whenever you like to. No need to be worried, because I actually was very happy finding a mail like that! Especially the language it was written in. You seem to make progress in your language skills! I am impressed. Learning English in Japan is not easy, though. I had the impression that there are few good teachers round there. I highly think of Nakahashi-sensei as someone who is able to change the image of learning English as something which cannot be possible.
You are, indeed, one of those who have no fear speaking a foreign language. The last thing you should care about is whether a sentence is completely right or not! It doesn’t matter. As long as you can be understood, it is okay.
Tokyo is wonderful, I thought from it as a hell, but in fact, it is bright and one of the biggest towns in the world. You are lucky! I wished I could return some day. My parents say I will when I really want to. Furthermore, meeting you and the others once again would be great.
I've never been to Disney Land, because I'm not too interested in Disney. I love the films, though, mostly The Lion King and Mulan. Japanese people are crazy about it, aren't they? Especially Stitch, and you know what? Stitch gives me nightmares, and he is definitely NOT cute. I mean, just look at him. He has tentacles and all that stuff. However. I hope, you enjoyed yourself!
I LOVE roller coasters. Here in Duesseldorf, there is something called 'Kirmes', which is like a amusement park, but it lasts just for a few days in summer, July. It is held at the shore of the Rhein, which is a big river that floats right through Duesseldorf. There are millions of visitors every year. We have this kind of tower around here, too, but it is not built like a house, so you can watch the people on the ground. This is too scary for me; I've never tried that. You are very brave doing that, I swear!
There are always lots of attractions...and lots of drunk people.
I do enjoy drinking, that is right. In my age, it's common that you go to parties and stuff, and to get very drunk very often. To be honest, I do not enjoy carrying a bottle of beer around just for being cool. Sometimes, I just like the feeling. But it is NOT very amusing that you have to spend your time on a toilet afterwards. It is too childish to say 'I've been on parties for ages, but I never was so drunk like yesterday'.
They think it's cool, but I think it is just ridiculous. Nanami thought she'd be cool if she drunk much. That to think is wrong. Don't ever do that.
We have no prefectures round here, it is called "Bundeslaender" (Federal countries). I honestly do not have a clue about how many we have, but I live in Northrhein-Westfalia, in short NRW. They are like little own countries with their own law and government. You know that Germany was divided into four parts after the war? There were the Russian, the American, the English and the French part, and later, there were the BRD "BundesRepublik Deutschland" (Federal Republic of Germany) and the SED, the "Sozialistische Einheitspartei Deutschlands" (Socialist Unity Party of Germany). However, the UdSSR had crushed 1990, and the wall had fallen that divided Germany into two parts. Germany has always been divided in one way or another, and so has been our souls. You know, we Germans have a serious problem with our identity. That is also the topic of my history class.
I will go to Berlin during autumn holidays. My father says that the people of Berlin "have begun doing the work Hitler had stopped in 1945". You know what he means? We had many capitals in Germany before. The people of Germany pay with their taxes for expensive buildings in Berlin. Berlin has no history, it is not even a nice town, but we pay millions of €uro for the expensive buildings we do not care for. They want Berlin to have a representative image in the world, though it is not beautiful, by far. Hitler tried to make it the best town in the world, and now the politicians try to do it the same.
If you write Dusseldorf, because you do not know the German 'ü'...'dussel' means 'stupid person' in German. Ü is a special German letter, and if you do not write it, you have to write 'ue' which is the same.
So 'Dusseldorf' is a funny thing to say.
It's like the 'Köln' thing. Kölsch is the beer of Köln, and Alt is the beer of Düsseldorf. I think I've mentioned it before.
Koelsch is waaaaaaaaay better, because it is not as dark and bitter as Alt.
Good to know that you still have the possibilty to be active in a club.
School is terrible. I even talked to a teacher, and do you know what he said? He said that school is pervert, not in a sexual, but in a terrible kind of way.
We cannot be free that way we should be.
We do not have to go to school anymore, but we do nevertheless, because it is better to have something that is called the 'Abitur'. You have better chances getting a good job. About 80% of my classmates are toadies. You know what toady means? You do everything the authority wants from you without even thinking whether it is right or not. I hate people doing that just for a good mark. I had a fight with my teacher in art class, and I got a bad mark from not accepting her authority. You will lose when you are trying to think for yourself, I know that. You have to be a toady so that you can be successful in life later.
I'm working at a film project at university every week, and I also go to the theatre. But I am very busy with school, so that I already feel that I have to be prepared for the Abitur when I'm 20. I look forward to it.
I want to go to Okinawa when I am old and grey. But we never know what life will do to us. Remember that, so that you can enjoy every day you have, and every breath you take.
I like you very much, Rina, do you know that?
Much love and many kisses
From Anna
PS. The photo shows me and my friend Dorothee in Duesseldorf, my dog waving the German flag, my first self made anpan!!, and my dog (sorry, but I love him!). I'll make photos for you the next time I'm in Duesseldorf.
Have a good day!
0 comments:
Post a Comment